“There is a natural tendency in young oars to pull the slide up with the straps; this is a fault, because it brings the knees up too soon and destroys the natural movement, which is best obtained by thinking of letting the boat run under one.”
– Steve Fairbairn (25 August 1862 – 16 May 1938) Rower, Author (On Rowing, p178), Coach (Jesus College Boat Club, Cambridge University, Thames Rowing Club, London Rowing Club), Author and Founder of the Head of the River Race ((1925).
“Train hard, fight easy.”
– Alexander Vasilyevich Suvorov (Russian: Алекса́ндр Васи́льевич Суво́ров, tr. Aleksándr Vasíl‘evič Suvórov (1729 or 1730 – 1800), Russian Military Leader, Count of Rymnik, Count of the Holy Roman Empire, Prince of Italy, Generalissimo of the Russian Empire.
In British Rowing, Session Coach Course, Warrington will be held Monday, 29 July 2019 through Wednesday 31st July in the North West region hosted by NGB.
“I spent months. I had never rowed before, and Martin is someone who has rowed his whole life. Without a doubt, that’s the hardest thing you can attempt to learn in a short period of time. I got there in the end, and I got quite addicted to it and loved it. I actually kept it up while we were shooting, even when there was no need to. I just really enjoyed working with my coach. There are only a couple of brief moments in the film, but there was no way of faking it. There was absolutely no photo double way of shooting any of that stuff. It was a pretty lucky thing to do, to go row on the Thames. It was beautiful.
– Eric Bana (1968- ), during an interview for Collider speaking about his Martin Rose character who rows in the film Closed Circuit.
“From pushing off with your feet to the explosive press of your legs to the final upper-body pullback, all these movements start with an engaged core and midsection. Even 10 minutes of rowing can strengthen your core unlike any other sport.
– Nick Karwoski, Triathlete, rower and trainer.
“Drills are kind of a balance of, I don’t want to say ‘comfort,’ but a way to find stability while really zeroing in on what’s happening at the catch, and experiencing that in a couple of different ways. A good catch isn’t always the one that feels the lightest, or the most explosive… It’s the one that’s the most effective.”
-Esther Lofgren (February 28, 1985- ), Rower, Olympic Gold Medalist 2012.
“There are days when you hate it, but when it comes down to it, nothing beats making a boat go fast and the feeling you get from training hard. That’s what is satisfying.”
– Christine Smith Collins (September 9, 1969 -), Rowing Coach, Rower, Olympic Bronze Medalist 2000, World Rowing Championship Gold Medalist 1998, 1996, 1995, 1994, Silver Medalist 1999, Bronze Medalist 1991, National Rowing Hall of Fame Inductee 2016.
“The water-rower has been an addition to my year-round training. It”s a full-body workout that allows me to get a great sweat while keeping my heart rate up… All without putting stress on my joints.”
-Rob Gronkowski, (May 14, 1989- ), New England Patriots tight end, 2× Super Bowl champion (XLIX, LI), 5× Pro Bowl (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017), 4× First-team All-Pro (2011, 2014, 2015, 2017), NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2014), NFL receiving touchdowns leader (2011), Third-team All-American (2008), First-team All-Pac-10 (2008).
Sarasota Winter Erg Classic will be held January 12, 2019 at Nathan Benderson Park in Sarasota, Florida. Sarasota Crew will host 5 entries from 3 clubs.
In Canada, Leander Indoor Rowing Championships will be held January 12, 2019 at St. Mary CSS Main Gym in Hamilton, Ontario. Leander Boat Club will host 126 entries from 12 clubs.
In British Rowing, Clean Sport 1- Paralympic Talent Rowers will be held Saturday 12th of January 2019 in the Thames Upriver region hosted by NGB.
Club Coach Sliding Seat – Scotland will be held Saturday 12th of January 2019 at Scotland Rowing Centre.
Club Coach Sliding Seat will also be held Saturday 12th of January 2019 in the North West region hosted by Runcorn Rowing Club.
Regatta des Deutschen Ruderverbandes, a.k.a. 19. Norddeutschen Meisterschaften und die 16. Schleswig-Holsteinischen Landesmeisterschaften im Ergometerrudern will be held January 12, 2019 at Rendsburger Ruderverein, Nordmarkhalle Rendsburg in Rendsburg, Germany. This is a Concept2 International Race Non-Satellite event.